Women Owned Business Certification: What You Need to Know
Guest Post from the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
October is National Women’s Small Business Month, a time to celebrate the growth and accomplishments of women-owned small businesses and the vital role they play in our economy.
But to us, supporting women-owned businesses is more than just a campaign; it’s the core of what we do. WBENC (Women’s Business Enterprise National Council) is the nation’s largest certifier of women-owned businesses and a leading advocate for women business owners and entrepreneurs.
Through the certification, women-owned businesses gain access to a vast network of support, including targeted business opportunities for certified women-owned firms, increased visibility in corporate and government supply chains, education and development programs to spur growth and increase capacity, and networking and mentorship opportunities with thousands of women entrepreneurs and those who support them.
Simply speaking, certification opens doors for women-owned businesses and provides the tools and resources to help them grow and succeed.
If you are a women business owner or aspiring entrepreneur, here are a few ways WBENC Certification could help your business:
- Gain access to contacts at hundreds of major corporations and federal, state and local government entities. WBENC only partners with corporations and government entities who are dedicated to supplier diversity, meaning they are specifically looking to increase spend with women-owned suppliers.
- Make meaningful connections with potential clients and fellow entrepreneurs at national events, featuring formal and informal opportunities to meet with and pursue business with corporations and other women-owned businesses.
- Spend time on developing your business and positioning for future growth through educational programming, mentoring, capacity development programs, and other business tools and resources.
- Benefit from a vast community of support from other female business owners and like-minded professionals all dedicated to the growth and success of women-owned businesses.
- Market yourself as a women-owned business with the Women Owned Logo, only available for use by certified businesses.
Get started: learn more about the certification process here.
Join the movement
This month, WBENC is celebrating National Women’s Small Business Month with a campaign to raise awareness for why, where, and how to #BuyWomenOwned and support women-owned small businesses. Learn how you can “shop the logo” and join the movement of support for women-owned businesses.
WBENC is the largest third-party certifier of businesses owned, controlled, and operated by women in the United States. WBENC partners with 14 Regional Partner Organizations (RPOs) to provide its world-class standard of certification to women-owned businesses throughout the country. WBENC is also the nation’s leading advocate of women-owned businesses and entrepreneurs. Throughout the year, WBENC provides business development opportunities for member corporations, government agencies and more than 15,000 certified women-owned businesses at events and other forums. Learn more.
About Women Owned
Women Owned is an initiative from WBENC and WEConnect International to create a movement of support for Women Owned businesses. We support female entrepreneurs and those who do business with them by raising awareness for why, where, and how to buy Women Owned. Learn more.